Cytogenetics & FISH Technologist
Director and President
General Description (Purpose and Function):
The primary responsibility of Clinical Cytogenetics FISH Technologist position is to possess knowledge in FISH, Cytogenetics and Microarray testing and to possess analytical abilities to be able to perform FISH, cytogenetic and Microarray testing. In addition the Cytogenetic Technologist will possess professional skills and experience in a laboratory setting and the ability to relate professionally with people and teams, motivate others, possess organizational skills, time management skills, research information, written and verbal communications skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs microscopic analysis of chromosomes and imaging
- Performs fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) procedures and analysis
- Perform microarray wet lab and analysis
- Proficient in culture initiation, harvesting cells, staining slides, and tissue culture
- Distinguish between abnormal and normal test results
- Summarize test results utilizing ISCN nomenclature
- Maintains clinical and internal documentation files
- Summarizes test results and may write case reports in preparation for director level sign out
- Trouble shoots and works on improving lab procedures
- Maintains current SOPs and generates new ones according to laboratory procedures
- Establishes cultures of peripheral blood, amniotic fluid, CVC samples, products of conception, bone marrow, skin biopsy and tumor tissue.
- Monitors the progress of cell culture and feeding cells.
- Knows the appropriate time for harvesting cell cultures and perform harvesting.
- Performs slide preparation and banding techniques.
- Gains experience in microscopic analysis of banded chromosomes; molecular and cytogenetics testing.
- Records results on worksheets, summary sheet and reporting results using correct nomenclature.
- Identifies technical problems and reports to lab director or lab management.
- Catalogues and files all slides to be used as part of the patient’s medical records.
- Follows proper safety policies and procedures when performing all laboratory duties.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient information according to federal and state guidelines and regulations.
- Monitors good general laboratory skills, quality assurance principles and safety protocols
- Understand legal implications of the work environment and exhibit appropriate ethical and professional health care standards while demonstrating professional conduct, stress management and interpersonal and communication skills
- Overseas the operations of Cytogenetics laboratory in a high volume laboratory producing chromosomal analysis and FISH
- Responsible for reviewing operations, producing justification for new/replacement equipment, quality assurance, expense control and managing operating budget
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the basic principles of chemistry and biology as related to standardized test and procedures in laboratory.
- Knowledge of laboratory methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of techniques used in performing quality control.
- Knowledge of the techniques used in calibrating analytical instruments.
- Knowledge of records, forms and reports used in the area of assignment.
- Ability to perform laboratory test and checks used in laboratory procedures
- Ability to make accurate observation and reports of results
- Skill in laboratory manipulative techniques.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- 4 year college degree-BS or equivalent.
- ASCP Board of Certification in Cytogenetics
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- 6 months Cytogenetics and FISH Experience Preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personal so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
8 Enterprise Lane, Oakdale CT-06370;
Tel: (860)574-9172; Fax (860)574-9264